Thursday, May 27, 2010

Let me tell you about yesterdays training. The training problem was a wharehouse search. As soon as we entered the building we were getting our briefing from the trainer when Rogue pulled me to the edge of a small trailer and responded. This was all done before I told Rogue to search. My trainer just wanted to know if the dogs would find anything without being given the command.
The next training aid was about 7 feet high. Rogue and I had made it past the aid when he turned around and started working the other way. As soon as he turned around he put his nose up in the air. He jump on his rear legs once and then responded. This all was done very fast and I was sure that Rogue was pulling my leg becuase he normally works the odor longer before he reposnds but as I looked up I saw the aid. He did a great job.
The training aid #3 was a little different. It was inside the seatback of a chair. Rogue was all over the area but couldn't find the source of the odor. I called the area and we moved on. When we came back to this aid the same thing happened. The trainer said that all the dogs were haveing this problem. Most of the dogs wanted to respond on a crate that was about 10 feet from the chair. Rogue did spend a lot of time on this crate but didn't respond. When I was ask where I thought the aid was I said in a roll of carpet at the base of the chair. Rogue couldn't pinpoint it but he got me close enough.
Rogue only had one problem for the rest of the training problem. He had a good change and worked the odor to a metal cabinet. He stopped and took a big sniff on the seam of this cabinet and then walked away. I told the trainer that I thought something was there. Either Rogue is getting better about not walking away from source or he just had a good day.
During this training problem there were two distracting odors. The first one was some dog food. Rogue slowed down when he got to it and then walked away. The other was some materail we use to pack some of the training aids in but there was no training aid in it. Rogue looked like he wanted to respond but he left the area when I called him. I think we cought this problem ealry enough that it will be easy to be fixed.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I'd say he is getting better, since he had 3 good responses in a row. As for the file cabinet, well, who knows. Maybe in his mind, a good hard sniff was all the indication you needed, haha. At least you're smart enough to "WATCH YOUR DOG!!!" :D

    The aid in the chair back...was the chair fabric? Or that fake leather? How was it placed inside the chair...like a rip in the bottom, side, etc? I would think fake leather would hold the odor in, whereas cloth would allow some dissipation. I could be wrong. BDL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair was made out of cloth. One thing I have learned is that the fabric in chairs holds the odor very well. I make it a habbit to make sure my dog searches chairs very well. I didn't get to on this one because I had to cut him off leash just so he could get back to the chair. I would have went with him but I've put on some weigth over the last couple of years. The back of this chair is made of two parts so all my trainer had to do was pull the two parts apart and the training aid fit inside.

    ReplyDelete