Monday, May 17, 2010

Where to start

First let me say that I have already trained Rogue to do his job. Now all I have to do is maintain his training and teach him all the little stuff he needs to know. Let me bring you up to speed on his training. It took about 6 months to train him to find all the different types of training aids that we use. At the same time I was working on basic obedience. Basic obedience is not a big part of the job but I understand that it is a must in K-9 training so we will be doing some basic obedience training. Rogue is not trained to do any type of aggression or protection training.

We are working on two main problems right now. Of course I will not pass up an opportunity to work on any issue he might be having but I think working on two problems at a time is enough. The first is getting Rogue to stay at the training aid after he finds it. It doesn't take much for Rogue to leave the training aid. The smallest tug on the leash or even if I just keep walking he will come with me.

The second problem we are working on is teaching Rogue how to get a running start before he jumps onto something. If I need Rogue to jump onto something (so I don't have to lift him) he won't do it unless he can jump on it from a stand still. The idea of getting a running start has never crossed his mind. When I make him take several steps back so he can get the running start he will need to jump on the object he will run up to the object, stop next to it and then try and jump on it.

When I got Rogue I knew I was going to have to teach everything but come on. I have never had to teach a dog how to get a running a start before. Some times he is so smart and some times he is a box of rocks.

3 comments:

  1. I think its great that you work on the little things. So many people forget the foundation work, the small things that may come up later on. THe situations you MIGHT encounter. Better to know now than be left hanging later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people think it is weird that I train in the dark every now and then. There may come a time when you HAVE to do a search in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there done that, you know it!!

    ReplyDelete