Thursday, July 22, 2010

Blank Problem

Yesterday I get a call from my trainer and she tells me to go to certain building and search a certain room and that it was a self confirm problem. Rogue did the whole search off leash and was doing pretty good. He got to a desk, had his COB but looked a little confused. He responded on the desk after showing high once or twice. This normally happens when the aid is high and he can't get to it. I was thinking that the aid was over his head but the odor was dropping onto that desk. So I sent a text message to my trainer and she told me that there was nothing near that desk. We left that area and continued on with the search. When we got into the next office Rogue was all over the west wall. (The office and the desk Rouge responded on were about 20 feet apart.) He was jumping as high as he could and then responding. By now I am sure that the aid is in the ceiling. This would explain why he is showing high and if the odor was in the ceiling then it could very easily have been going across the ceiling and dropping onto the desk Rogue responded on. Again I sent a text to my trainer and again she told me there was nothing there. This office was the end of our search so I told her we where done. That is when I found out it was a blank problem. Since I didn't expect this type of problem I liked it. The only thing I didn't like was that she did this training in a building that we always use for training. I am now thinking that the reason Rogue had the two false responses was because he was in a building that he also finds something in so he was expecting to find something. We searched for about 20 minutes before Rogue had his first false response. Since we have done longer blank problems than this I don't think the time was a factor. I will have to start doing blank problem in all of our normal training areas to fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment