Thursday, July 1, 2010

What Were You Thinking?

I already posted about yesterday's training but after I did that I went back and looked at the notes that were put on the training sheet for yesterday. The third training problem of the day was run by another handler and not the trainer. This problem was a dirt road going through the woods and was about 150 yards maybe 200 yards long. We were to search from tree line to tree line but didn't have to go into the woods. Because the wind was blowing from west to east I started my search on the east (left) side of the road. After we had been searching for a minute or two I noticed that the wind had changed and was now blowing south to north. The other handler also made a comment about it. I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days when the wind changes directions every couple of minutes. Since I can't keep changing my search pattern I decided to work the entire left side of the road and then work back on the right side of the road. While we were working back down the right side of the road Rogue had a COB and worked the odor to the middle of the dirt road (the area between the tire tracks) and responded. I thought everything was cool but when I looked at the training sheet I found out the other handler gave me a handler miss for this aid. When I asked him about it he said it was because my dog didn't find it when we went down the left side of the road and I didn't present the aid. I tried to tell him that you can't give someone a handler miss if their dogs finds the aid. I could tell the fight was about to start but our trainer stepped in and told him almost the same thing I did. He could see her point but not mine. Sometimes I have to wonder what people are thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I know you were thinking this, but I'm going to say it anyway....he honestly thinks its a handler miss when the dog finds it on his own without your presentation? Isn't that the point? For the dog to work, with minimal effort from you? And if he finds it on his own, then even better? How in the hell is it a "training problem" if you know where the aid is? (unless of course you need to know in order to work on other issues, but thats another story) Good thing I wasn't there, I'd have pissed somebody off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to talk bad about another handler but that guy is a Jackass. If I wanted to be like him the next time I'm running a training problem I would give him a handler miss for every aid that he doesn't present. We have butted head before and it seams like every time we do he doesn't talk to me for a couple of month. With any luck I won't hear from him until around labor day.

    ReplyDelete