Saturday, June 5, 2010

Basic Obedience

Rogue took the day off from doing any detection training and we worked on basic obedience and the obstacle course. He has so much fun on the obstacle course. I should say he has so much on most of the obstacles. He is not a fan of the teeter totter but he is getting better. The cat walk is in two sections with a gap between the sections of about 16 inches. He has gotten over his fear of the gap and will wait to jump over the gap until he is told. He has gotten much better at getting a running start to jump over the high. The high jump is only about three feet high. I think it is time to move it up to four feet. I can tell there is a difference in the way he jumps over the high jump and the way he jumps onto a desk. If he is jumping over something it looks like he is having fun flying but if he is jumping onto something it doesn't look like he is having any fun.

Rogue knows the down command and will do unless we are walking when I give it to him. He will slow down and he gets that look on his face like he thinks he is trouble but if I stop when I give the command he is fine with this. I am not a fan of using food as a reward but I think I'll use it for a day or two in this case. Just long enough for him to realize that going into the down position while I am walking away isn't a bad thing.

1 comment:

  1. I think there is always at least 1 obstacle that dogs just don't care for. Tanja didn't like the tunnel. Down while walking is hard, for both you and the dog, keep us posted on how that goes! :D BDL

    ReplyDelete