Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Self confirm

Today's training didn't go so well. It was another self-confirm training problem. We had to search two buildings. Each building was about the size of two mobile homes put together. The first building was blank and Rogue showed no interest in that building. The next building did have a training aid in it but Rogue didn't find it the first time we searched it. My trainer told me to wait about five minutes and search the building again. Rogue didn't find it the second time we searched the building. I think Rogue was starting to get a little frustrated because he tried to respond as soon as we walked back into the building. He was showing interest on the pane of glass that was in the entry door. Now my trainer is good but even she can't hide a training aid on a pane of glass without me seeing it. On the third try my trainer went with us. This time Rogue had a small change in the corner of the break room and was showing high. I gave him a minute to work it our and the longer he stayed in that corner the stronger his change got. After a minute or two of searching the corner, a chair, and a table he stood on his back legs, sniffed the air and responded. The training aid was in the ceiling above the tiles of the drop ceiling. It was a large training aid but my trainer said that when we started the training problem it had only been sitting there for about 30 minutes. My guess is that the odor hadn't dropped down from the ceiling until we were searching the room for the third time. I wish Rogue had done better but the fact that he missed it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that he was getting frustrated. I think I will have to start making him search a little longer between training aids and every now and then make him search a blank room two or three times just so he gets use to being in the same room for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment